The Research Unit of Urban and Spatial Planning covers teaching and research needs in the general fields of regional and urban planning, as well as in the more specific subjects of the analysis and evaluation of spatial politics, the connection of spatial planning with developmental and environmental planning and management, the dealing with issues connected to the main urban planning functions – and specifically housing, work, leisure (tourism, culture, sport) and transportation – urban design, urban regeneration, and the application of geographic information systems in spatial planning.
The Unit focused especially, over the last few years, on urban regeneration in metropolitan areas, strategic spatial policy (institutions and legislation), and localization of renewable resource energy units.
Activities (in brief):
1. Strategic urban planning and policy research
2. Urban regeneration research
3. Metropolitan planning and policy research
4. Strategic national/regional spatial planning and policies research
5. Productive activities location research
6. Programme evaluation research