Profile of the Department
In recent years there has been an increase in spatial problems that has resulted to planning crises. Deindustrialization, uneven development, worsening of traffic conditions in cities, destruction of the countryside due to unplanned construction, illegal construction sites, and an increase in air pollution are just a few of the problems faced in Greece. Both society and the state have taken a greater interest in confronting those problems. This attitude is made evident through increased media attention and by the formation of special organizations and institutions to deal with these problems of the built environment. Such institutions include the Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works, General Secretariats of Regions and Prefectural Authorities. Thanks to funding from the European Commission, Greece is now in a position to seriously address these territorial problems.
The increase in problems - uneven development, environmental crises, deterioration of the quality of urban life, has created a need for well-trained professionals. EU policies on issues of regional development, environment, regional and urban planning, have also increased the demand for experts capable of handling these matters. The parallel growth of societal demands yields strong opportunities in the job market for new graduates. The multi-faceted nature of planning and regional development satisfies various interests and gives graduates flexibility in their professional choices.
The DPRD program of studies is structured in such a way as to meet the competitive and changing conditions in the field. Consequently, the department's main goal is to offer quality education to students and, furthermore, to train graduates who can respond successfully to a wide range of employment opportunities.more
- Undergraduate Programme
- Master in Urban and Regional Planning
- Master in Spatial Analysis and Enviromental Management
- Master in European Regional Development Studies
- Greek-French Master Programme PODEPRO
- Greek-French Master Programme DYNTAR
- Doctoral Studies
- 4/22/12 | Postgraduate Studies Announcements Appel a Candidature pour des Bourses de l’office Mediterraneen de la Jeunesse OMJ (jusqu’au 15 mai 2012)
- 7/22/13 | Conference Invitation to the Fourth International Conference on Small and Decentralized Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants that will be held in Volos, Greece, from October 25 to 27, 2013.
- 2/13/13 | Conference 4th International Conference on Environmental Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics & SECOTOX Conference, June 24-28, 2013, Mykonos island, Greece
- 10/24/12 | Conference International Conference on “Changing Cities”: Spatial, morphological, formal & socio-economic dimensions, Skiathos island, Greeceν 18-21 June 2013
- 11/9/12 | Communication 5th International Conference on Geographic Object-Based Image Analysis (GEOBIA 2014), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 21-23 May 2014
- 5/11/11 | Conference 3rd Int. Conference on Environmental Management, Engineering, Planning and Economics (CEMEPE 2011) & SECOTOX Conference
- 5/27/13 | Other academic news Free Access Articles – International Journal of Digital Earth Editors’ Choice