The course aims at introducing thematic cartography concepts. Upon completion of the course, students are going to be able to use visual variables and cartographic methods to efficiently create thematic maps.
1. Introduction in thematic mapping
2. Cartographic design and graphical representation
3. Cartographic symbols – points
4. Cartographic symbols – lines
5. Cartographic symbols – areas
6. Classification of quantitative data – spatial unit of reference
7. Class intervals
9. Multivariate cartography
11. Representation of surface and volumetric information
12. Dynamic cartography
13. Review of topics.
The final assessment of the students is based on evaluating weekly coursework (50%) and on the final exam mark (50%).
Σιδηρόπουλος Γ., 2006, Εισαγωγή στη γραφική σημειολογία, Εκδόσεις Παπαζήση.