On completion of the course student is familiarized with the main currents of methods and techniques of demographic analysis and able to apply them, using the available data, on the study of population. Simultaneously acquires the ability to apply this knowledge in the frames of developmental, land-planning or urban studies and researches where enters the variable “population”.
Regarding the generic skills obtained on successful completion of the course, these include ability to engage in:
• Data research, analysis and synthesis
• Decision-making based on the results of population analyses (ex. The study of the population of a territorial unit leads to the conclusion that this population is and will also remain particularly juvenile. Consequently in the short- term and-medium-term planning will be supposed forecasts for the cover of needs in schools, children’s and day nursery faculties etc.)
• Private and group research work in a future interdisciplinary environment
• Free, creative and inductive thinking, through the development of critical faculties, up to possibilities of growth of mathematical thought and comprehension of relations among the phenomena in the field of demography.
The course of Demography aims to familiarize the students with the basic methods and techniques of demographic analysis and the data collection procession from the existing demographic sources. In summary the contents of the course are :
• Introduction to Demography (Basic concepts, object, history, Demography in Greece)
• Data sources in Demography (censuses, vital events data, official registrations, data collection on the field). International data bases: availability and quality of data.
• Crude Rates: How to use them in demographic analysis, limitations in the interpretation of demographic rates.
• Ageing and consequences in population evolution
• Demographic data and time, the concept of variable “time” in demography, Lexis Diagram, Rates, probabilities and Indices for demographic events. Mortality analysis (life tables)
• Demographic analysis: Cohort and period analysis, Population pyramids, population structure, Fertility, Mortality, Migration
• Basic demographic theories and demographic policies
• The demographic case of Greece and country’s place in the European demographic context.
• Κοτζαμάνης Β. (2009). Στοιχεία Δημογραφίας. Πανεπιστημιακές Εκδόσεις Θεσσαλίας, Βόλος.
• Τραγάκη Α., Μπάγκαβος Χ., Ντούνας Δ. (2015). Περί Δημογραφίας & Πληθυσμιακών Εξελίξεων Ελληνικά Ακαδημαϊκά Ηλεκτρονικά Συγγράμματα και Βοηθήματα http://e-book.ddounas.com/joomla
Συνίσταται επίσης η επίσκεψη στον δικτυακό τόπου του Εργαστηρίου (http://www.demography-lab.prd.uth.gr/Education-gr.asp).όπου έχει καταχωρηθεί πλούσιο εκπαιδευτικό υλικό, και ειδικότερα λεξικό όρων, διαλέξεις, ασκήσεις, θέματα εξετάσεων, άρθρα, βιβλιογραφία.